Redoubling Sustainable CT’s Resolve, Commitment, and Equity Support to Communities
We are deeply shaken and saddened by the killing of George Floyd and so many others and the racism and injustice ingrained in our systems. As many of you co-created Sustainable CT with us a few years ago, we designed our framework to embrace equity as a foundation for what makes communities healthy, connected, resilient, vibrant, strong, and sustainable. We will use this time to embrace the extremes of anger and hope, grief and opportunity, urgency and time for reflection, and heartache and solidarity to build upon Sustainable CT’s commitment to equity and support residents and community leaders to change systems.
As we move forward, we will work within our team to better understand our role in racial justice and we look forward to working with you to design new actions, certification levels, and meaningful support for communities to overcome inequities.
We offer the following:
- Any time – Free coaching for towns from a Sustainable CT Equity Coach. Coaches are available to assist municipal leaders in registered communities with any issue related to equity and racial justice (does not have to be related to Sustainable CT certification) in addition to helping towns with the equity process of action 9.1 Optimize for Equity. Request to work with a coach.
- Any time – Multiple support tools and an overview of Sustainable CT’s equity framework
- Stay tuned for additional equity conversations and training through Sustainable CT’s Summer Learning and Support Sessions.
- Let us know what other support would be helpful.
Thank you for your work in building more sustainable and equitable communities. We are with you on the hard work ahead.
Building Equitable Communities with the Sustainable CT Framework
Equitable communities recognize the intrinsic value of each member and the need to connect with everyone, regardless of a person’s race, gender, age, or sexual identity.
Sustainable CT believes that our communities can thrive and truly be sustainable only when social equity is achieved; that people’s race, gender, zip code, etc. does not dictate their life outcome.
To build communities that embrace equity, Sustainable CT cities and towns will create a table where diverse relationships are welcomed and valued, where decisions are made collectively, and where success is measured by the variety of perspectives and experiences represented.
Sustainable CT Actions: Embracing Equity
- Action 9.1: Optimize for Equity: There is only required action in Sustainable CT: Action 9.1 Optimize for Equity. This action lays out a process by which any other Sustainable CT action must be completed. The process is outlined in the Sustainable CT Equity Toolkit.
- For Bronze Certification, you must complete the Sustainable CT Equity Toolkit for one Sustainable CT action that you are submitting for certification.
- For Silver Certification, you must complete the Sustainable CT Equity Toolkit for at least three Sustainable CT actions that you are submitting for certification.
- Action 7.3: Train Municipal Representatives: In this action your community sends a small delegation of municipal representatives (one seated elected official, one municipal staff, and one commissioner) to attend a three-part equity training series offered by Sustainable CT in 2020. Trainings are open to the public and free of charge, see further details below. This action is not required for Sustainable CT certification.
Hear from municipal and community partners about their experience with Sustainable CT's equity requirements and opportunities.
Sustainable CT Equity Supports: Help for Your Community
In this step-by-step process we walk you and your community through an inclusive process of engagement and co-creation. Watch a short video to hear from municipal representatives about their experience using the Equity Toolkit.
In 2020 Sustainable CT offered two free, three-part, virtual equity classrooms that provide a comprehensive framework of belonging, equity, diversity, and inclusion (BEDI). Sustainable CT hopes to offer additional trainings in the future. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Past Equity Training Materials:
Sustainable CT provided in-person equity trainings in 2019. To access presentation materials, please select the workshop title: