Building Equitable Communities with the Sustainable CT Framework
Equitable communities recognize the intrinsic value of each member and the need to connect with everyone, regardless of a person’s race, gender, age, or sexual identity.
Sustainable CT believes that our communities can thrive and truly be sustainable only when social equity is achieved; that people’s race, gender, zip code, etc. does not dictate their life outcome.
To build communities that embrace equity, Sustainable CT cities and towns will create a table where diverse relationships are welcomed and valued, where decisions are made collectively, and where success is measured by the variety of perspectives and experiences represented.
Sustainable CT Actions: Embracing Equity
- Action: 1.1 Optimize for Equity: There is only required action in Sustainable CT: 1.1 Optimize for Equity. This action lays out a process by which any other Sustainable CT action must be completed. The process is outlined in the Sustainable CT Equity Toolkit.
- For Bronze Certification, you must complete the Sustainable CT Equity Toolkit for one Sustainable CT action that you are submitting for certification.
- For Silver Certification, you must complete the Sustainable CT Equity Toolkit for at least three Sustainable CT actions that you are submitting for certification.
- Action: 1.2 Participate in Equity Training
- 1.2.1 In this action your community sends a small delegation of municipal representatives (one elected official, one higher level municipal staff member (management and/or director-level), and one resident serving on your Sustainability Team) to attend a three-part equity training series offered by Sustainable CT. To complete this action your community may also support equity training for a cohort of at least three municipal staff and/or elected municipal officials (this would be a training other than the Sustainable CT sponsored training). Sustainable CT trainings are open to the public and free of charge, see further details below. This action is not required for Sustainable CT certification.
- 1.2.2 In this action your community supports equity training for a cohort of at least three municipal staff (including Board of Education employees and Board members) and/or elected municipal officials. The training must be "live" (whether in person or virtual). Municipal attendees must attend the same training. This action is not required for Sustainable CT certification.
- Action: 1.3 Develop and Adopt a Statement on Equity: With this action your community will promote community cohesion and representation creating and adopting a shared vision for equity in your municipality. This action is not required for Sustainable CT certification.
Hear from municipal and community partners about their experience with Sustainable CT's equity requirements and opportunities.
Sustainable CT Equity Supports: Help for Your Community
In this step-by-step process we walk you and your community through an inclusive process of engagement and co-creation. Watch a short video to hear from municipal representatives about their experience using the Equity Toolkit.
CT Town Equity Reports:
Sustainable CT is pleased to offer three, three-part virtual equity workshop series. These events provide a comprehensive framework of racial equity, diversity, and inclusion (REDI). Attendance at all three sessions of a series is required. Content will be geared to help Sustainability Teams integrate equity considerations into their Sustainable CT initiatives. Who should attend? Sustainability Team members (elected officials, municipal staff, commissioners, volunteers) in registered Sustainable CT communities. Attendance at each series is capped at 35. Attendees may not mix and match sessions between series.
The Spring 2022 and Summer 2022 series will include the following sessions: Equity 101, Everyday Anti-Racism for Leaders, and How to Have Conversations about Race.
Spring 2022 dates: April 12, May 10, June 7
Summer 2022 dates: August 4, August 25, September 14
The Fall 2022 series will include the following sessions: Managing Unconscious Bias, Race, Racism, and White Supremacy, How to Change Someone's Mind.
Fall 2022 dates: October 19, November 16, December 7
Attendance in any of these workshop series is eligible for points under Action 1.2 Participate in Equity Training.
Please contact [email protected] with any questions.
We are grateful to the following supporters of Sustainable CT equity work.